Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why are 20-somethings skipping out on Sundays? IV

I know; I know… it’s about time for a new topic. But, quite honestly, I’m captivated by this question. So please forgive my ramblings.

I love going to God’s house to worship, and to study His Word. It’s the fellowship part I struggle with most. One Sunday school door is labeled ‘college class.’ Its next-door neighbor is called ‘single and mingle.’ (Cringe, cringe, cringe!) Life after college is drastically different, as we all know. And single groups… well… if only I had time to share my horror stories involving hula skirts, 40-year-old men and fish. Need I say more?


As a single, 26-year-old woman, I feel like I’m an awkward fit in the church…and often life in general. I think many of my peers feel the same way. And so, when Sunday morning rolls around, it’s all too easy to hit the snooze button or to show up for the main service, and jet out the door after closing prayer.

Not all 20-somethings make it that far. Many quit going to church after high school, and want nothing to do with Christianity. In their new book unChristian, authors Dave Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons find 16-29 year-olds have a very bad impression of the Christian faith. When asked to describe it, here’s what my generation had to say:

#1 Anti-homosexual: 91% outsiders, 80% churchgoers

#2 Judgmental: 87% outsiders, 52% churchgoers

#3 Hypocritical: 85% outsiders, 47% churchgoers

#4 Old-fashioned: 78%outsiders, 36% churchgoers
Outsiders = those looking at the Christian faith from the outside. (Atheists, agnostics, those affiliated with a faith other than Christianity, and other un-churched who are not born-again Christians)

Other significant findings:


Nearly two out of every five young outsiders claim to have a “bad impression of present-day Christianity.”

Only one out of seven outsiders describes Christianity as something that seems genuine and real.

Just one-third believe that Christians show genuine interest in them.

FYI: there are about 24 million outsiders in this country who are 16-29.

In summary: many in my generation feel that Christians are more focused on converting them, than getting to know them as human beings.

What’s the take-away for your church, ministry or non-profit?

Provide a Christ-centered community for young adults.

(Remember we are often away from home, dislocated from structure, and making significant life decisions. We need your help.)

Build meaningful relationships with my generation.

(Meet us where we are, even if we have a tattoo or two!)

And, don’t forget…stick to the truth, mentor and pray.

No comments: