Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

He was an All-American athlete (in 3 sports) in high school. He was equally successful in the classroom. He was a football star at Virginia Tech, and left behind a linebacker legacy at Lane Stadium. He married the love of his life… and traded in his jersey for Barbie dolls, curling irons and volleyball courts when the girls came. His resume includes prestigious titles like ‘President’ or ‘Founder,’ Sunday school teacher, deacon, and school board member. But it’s his faith that people really talk about.

This man is my hero. He’s also my dad: Mike Stollings.

Dad was there for all the bumps and bruises that accumulated the day I rode my first big girl bike. He cheered me on for 8 straight hours until I final peddled without training wheels! (He documented the whole thing on video, of course!)

Then there was the Saturday he cleared out our garage so I could practice my over-hand serve for Middle School volleyball tryouts. I made it! That meant Saturday practices at 8:00am. Not bad, except the gym was an hour away from home! Some of my fondest memories were those 6:30am commutes with dad. (‘film line!’)

Dad was at all my volleyball games through high school and college. Whether I made a play of the day, or got taken out of the game, his response was always the same. He would look at me, smile, and lift his pointer finger in the air. That was his way of reminding me to play for an audience of one.

Dad’s support of me went far beyond the court. He was at every one of my extra-curricular activities or award ceremonies. He was also there to hold me through life’s heart aches and tears.

I’ve grown up a little and moved from the court to the career. But what I’ve found is: I need my dad just the same.

Now he’s become my personal U-Haul driver and packer for three major moves. (One includes 24 hours with a 16-week-old, hyper-active puppy)

Then there was my latest drama: an unexpected back surgery. The sleepless nights and physical limitations that followed were a challenge. Whether 4pm, or 4am… dad never left my side.

He’s sacrificed a lot to help me pursue the dream God’s put on my heart. From filing papers to reserving domain names, once again… dad has been my rock.

And, although, I only live 15 minutes from my parents… dad always texts me to make sure I arrive home safely. I play it off as silly. But, deep down, I think it’s the sweetest thing ever!

My dad embodies a life dedicated to faith, family and FUN! He is the most genuine, Godly, humble, selfless and successful man I have ever met. I love him with all my heart.

Thank you, dad, for all you do for mom, me, Emily and Allie-Kate. We are blessed. Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: