Friday, May 9, 2008

From generation to generation...


We’re on the verge of one of the greatest generational shifts in history. As the Boomers’ reign nears its end, a new generation marches forward, to the beat of a different drum, to assume the throne.

Welcome, the Millennials. (Born between 1977-1998, according to the U.S. Census Bureau)


















Based on size alone, the Millennials are bound to be an influential generation. Not just in the future; in the now. The oldest Millennials, the 20-somethings, are springing up in boardrooms across the country, electing public officials and making significant life choices that impact your world and mine. So, it’s imperative to ask: Who is this generation, and what do they believe?

I know a little about the Millennials because… well… I’m one of them! (Yes, I text often, move often, and update my Facebook profile more than often. That’s an entirely different post!) Through personal experience, and tons of research, I’ve come to the conclusion that my generation is completely confused, disconnected from the generations above us and, most sadly, detached from God and His truths. My passion is to help bridge those divides for the Kingdom’s sake.

And so I write to you: a parent longing to understand your young adult child, a church desperate to see our faces in your congregation again, a 20-something just trying to figure out where you fit in the uncertain world of life post-college.

From spirituality to spending habits, we’ll take a look at my generation’s lifestyle trends and worldviews. Guest bloggers representative of each generation will be featured monthly, sharing their personal experience and words of wisdom.

I pray this blog offers insight into my generation, and provides a forum for intergenerational dialogue. No matter what your age or stage, we’re in this together so that the ‘I AM’ will be remembered from generation to generation. (Exodus 3:14-15)

No comments: